Published: April 25, 2023
Tips for Parents for Successful Teacher Conferences
- Be on time and end on time.
- Plan ahead. Make a list of questions. Review them, prioritize them, and ask the most important questions first.
- If your child receives special services, ask about your child’s progress with these services. Do they need further accommodations?
- Ask for explanations of scores, data, and anything else you don’t understand
- Seek at-home strategies and what you can do to support classroom instruction at home.
- Plan and set a schedule for regular updates from the teacher.
- Thank the teacher
The Value of Student-Led Teacher Conferences
Many schools are switching to student-led conferences as a way to bolster active participation by students in their own learning. Are your teacher conferences student-led?
Here’s a list of benefits to students from this type of conference:
- Provides the opportunity for students to reflect on the school year to date
- Helps students identify their strengths and weaknesses
- Encourages students to ask for help in specific areas
- Enables a discussion about classroom behaviors and social-emotional learning
- Students are actively involved in setting academic goals
- Students participate in creating an action plan that students + parents + teachers can use