Published: March 7, 2023
On Wednesday, November 2nd, Prep Academy Tutors hosted an informative panel discussion, ‘The Road to College: Strategies for Enjoying the Trip!’, at the Bronxville Field Club. This well-attended and interactive talk was led by Prep Academy’s directors, Vanessa O’Friel and Sarah Loader and Prep Academy’s college admissions counselor, Karen Rozanes. This dynamic team brought both their business expertise and their personal expertise as parents of freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors currently engaged in the college admissions process. Although there are many roads to college, and each student has a unique path, this talk served as an overview of the significant milestones most students will encounter along the way. The goal was to introduce these milestones to parents and students in grades 9 to 12 and inform them about how and when in their high school career to engage in these activities. The theme of the talk was to ‘turn the lights on’ for parents and students, help them make a road map through high school, and develop a strong college candidacy on a measured timeline for a positive (and less stressful!) college admissions experience.
Some of the highlighted topics include:
- Staying strong in high school with good grades and rigorous courses
- Extracurricular activities, honors, awards, and building impact in high school
- Recent changes to the SAT and its impact on the current freshman and sophomore classes
- SAT vs. ACT vs. test-optional, and how to choose
- College lists, college visits, and demonstrated interest
- The Common App and college essays
Prep Academy Tutors plans to bring this talk back to Bronxville this spring, so stay tuned for upcoming dates! For more information about subject-specific tutoring, SAT and ACT test prep, and college admissions counseling, call Vanessa and Sarah at (914) 303.7661.