Published: April 25, 2023
When choosing whether to take the SAT or the ACT, proper evaluation is worth the effort. Students should take a full-length, timed practice test for SAT and ACT. Here are some questions to ask yourself that highlight the differences between the SAT and ACT:
- How do you handle time pressure?
- The SAT and ACT tests are similar lengths, but the ACT includes more questions and is therefore faster-paced. The ACT can be well suited for students who process information and work quickly
- Do you like science?
- Basic knowledge of biology, chemistry, and earth science is required for the ACT
- What kinds of questions do you find challenging?
- There is more time allotted per question on the SAT, but areas such as the critical reading passages on the SAT are generally viewed as more sophisticated
- Do you like to use your calculator on the math sections?
- If yes, the ACT allows calculators throughout. The SAT has a no-calculator section